In 1985 the Society of the Sacred Heart transferred to the Baradene College Trust Board, the complete assets of the Victoria Avenue property, responsibility for the Special Character of Baradene College and the Proprietorial rights embodied in the Integration Agreement.
In 2001, as a result of changing circumstances and particularly in order to give greater security to the Religious of the Sacred Heart and the College, the Trust Board decided to restructure and set up a Limited Liability Company.
In effect, this change meant that Baradene College Limited (BCL) was now a landlord, entrusted with caring for the assets and financial affairs of the College, the Convent and its land and buildings. The new relationship meant that the school became a privileged sole tenant, with a landlord Trust Board which was charged with ensuring that the historic buildings and facilities were suitable for the needs of future generations. BCL set out on an ambitious programme of campus redevelopment between 2002 and 2009, which included a capital raising campaign that culminated in a new Auditorium, Chapel and tennis courts and the Barat building. BCL has now commissioned the preparation of a Master Campus Plan to ensure that quality teaching and learning facilities are provided for students and that future projects are appropriately co-ordinated and prioritised.
THE STRUCTURE OF BARADENE COLLEGE LIMITED
To understand a little more about BCL you need to consider the Constitution of the Company formed.
The Directors are legally required to:
- assist in the promotion of the charitable, apostolic and religious activities of the Society of the Sacred Heart in connection with Baradene College;
- conduct Baradene College as part of the mission of the Catholic Church, in conformity with Canon Law of the Catholic Church, and following the stated educational philosophy of the Society of the Sacred Heart as expressed in the five Goals of Sacred Heart Education;
- exercise the legal rights and regulations of the Proprietor of Baradene College in accordance with the Private Schools' Conditional Integration Act (1975) and the Integration Agreement; and
- ensure that the income and property of the Company, wherever derived, shall be applied solely towards the activities of the Company or the charitable, apostolic and religious activities of the Society of the Sacred Heart within New Zealand.
THE WORK OF BARADENE COLLEGE LIMITED
In summary, the work of Baradene College Limited is dedicated to three main areas:
- the appointment of four Proprietors' representatives to the Baradene Board of Trustees. Their prime responsibility is to ensure that the ‘Special Character', as expressed in the Goals, is upheld in the Governance of the College;
- the provision of necessary buildings for the educational needs of students and the major maintenance of the Convent buildings; and
- the funding of the activities of the Religious Education Department and the Chaplain stipends. In order to provide, maintain and improve these assets and activities Baradene College Limited determines the level of Parent Contribution to be paid each school term.
In addition to the College operations, Baradene College Limited liaises with the Sisters to maintain, with the assistance of the Society of the Sacred Heart, a caring living environment for the valued members of our Convent Community.
THE DIRECTORS OF BARADENE COLLEGE LIMITED
Baradene College Limited Directors, as appointed by the Provincial of the Australasian Province of the Society of the Sacred Heart, are:
Mr Edmund Lawler (Chair)
Edmund represents Baradene College Limited as a Proprietor’s appointee to the Board of Trustees. He is also the Chair of the BOT. He has three daughters who are alumnae of Baradene College, and two sons, the youngest of which attends Sacred Heart College. His wife Adrienne (Downey) is also a Baradene Alumna.
Mr Richard James
Richard and his wife Sarah Stone (an Alumna), have two daughters Mollie and Jemma who have graduated and Nina who is currently at Baradene. Richard is Chief Executive of investment management company, NZ Funds Management.
Mr John Hickey
John has been a Registered Valuer from the early 1980'2 and a Director of Baradene College Limited since 2009. John is married and has one son and three daughters who are alumnae of Baradene College.
Mrs Maryanne Mahoney
Maryanne has been a Director of Baradene College since 2003. She also serves as a Proprietor’s representative on the Baradene Board of Trustees. Maryanne’s daughters are alumnae of the College.
Ms Catherine Ryan
Catherine and her sisters were all boarders at Baradene College following on from their mother who was a day girl. Two of her nieces presently attend Sacre Coeur schools. She has many years’ experience in education and is currently Principal of Marist School, Mt Albert.
Ms Mary Anne Shanahan
Mary Anne attended Baradene from 1971 to 1975 inclusive. She is a solicitor practising in New Lynn. She represents Baradene College Limited as a Director on the Catholic Education Services Board and the Auckland Common Fund Limited. She is married with 2 teenage boys and a dog!
Mr Michael Smith
Michael was educated at St Patrick's College Silverstream and Auckland University. He currently runs his own photography business in Mt Wellington.
Sr Elizabeth Snedden
Sr Elizabeth Snedden is a member of the Society of the Sacred Heart and a part time lecturer at Good Shephard College, Ponsonby. She represents Baradene College Limited as a Proprietor's appointee on the Board of Trustees.
Mrs Anne Turnbull
Ann Turnbull is an Alumna of Baradene College (1976-1982), as was her mother and now her two daughters. Ann was on the Baradene College Board of Trustees for six years and has recently been appointed to the BCL Board.
Executive Officer - Mr Richard Agnew
In attendance - Baradene College Principal - Mrs Sandy Pasley