There is a vitality, a life-force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action. And because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open...whether you choose to take an art class, keep a journal, record your dreams, dance your story, or live each day from your own creative source, above all else, keep the channel open! - Martha Graham
Dance is a fun and exciting part of the Drama and Performing Arts courses at Years 7 – 10 at our school.
The emphasis is on practical work: building skills and choreography.
Our aims for Juniors are:
- to enjoy dance
- develop your dance vocabulary and range of movement possibilities.
- introduce the Elements of Dance and the language of Dance.
- introduce choreographic concepts and develop your ability to do your own choreography
- introduce performance skills and audience skills
Our aims for Seniors are:
- to cultivate an understanding of Dance in context
- to extend practical skills and techniques in Dance
- to develop ideas through choreography
- to communicate and interpret a range of Dance works
All year 7/8 students have the opportunity to explore Drama and Dance.
At Year 9 you can take Drama and Dance as a half-year option.
At Year 10 you can take Dance as a full year option.
At Year 11 you can take NCEA Level 1 Dance.
Miss Nicole Eichstaedt
Head of Dance and Drama